Monday, October 11, 2010

A Gluten-Free Tour with Johnny

Johnny is one of the people in my life that I see at least twice week. We exchange "hi, how are you", "beautiful day," etc. Johnny is always in the natural foods section at the King Soopers in Bergen Park (Evergreen, Colorado). Saturday Johnny was in the lobby with exactly what I needed. Recently I discovered I was gluten intolerant. I love breads, pastries, cereals, pancakes and crepes. I bake muffins every weekend, I have a sandwich for lunch everyday, and toast before bed. The first few days after learning I was gluten intolerant I discovered that most of the foods in my cupboard and frig contained gluten.
Johnny is a nutritionist and knew every item in the store that did not contain gluten. As he took me down each aisle he also pointed out foods that contain gluten, like soups, spaghetti sauces, and even some yogurts. In a short walk through King Soopers I learned so much about what to eat and general nutrition. I bought most of his suggested food items and he was right they are good.
Johnny has an extensive knowledge of healthy foods and vitamins and continues to take classes. He moved to Colorado from L.A. and is married to a chef. They met a few years ago and realized they had gone to Junior High together. (I love those kind of stories)
If you have a question ask Johnny, he's one of our mountain gems!

No comments:

Post a Comment