Saturday, October 9, 2010

Murder Evergreen Style

Dark clouds hang just above the mountain tops, casting eerie shadows on the changing Aspens. It is a cold autumn evening in Evergreen. Bare tree branches scratch against the side of my cottage. I sink into my favorite chair and absorb the warmth of the fire. I reach for a good book, String the Dark Pearl by Kristin K. Witt. I have read it once, unable to put it down, cursing the author for capturing my attention and creating a murder mystery, that I the expert at solving a murder in less than three chapters could not solve. Do I dare read this book again! It is well crafted and intelligent, it holds my interest, but - I begin thinking about the woman who wrote this book. Kristin Witt writes for the Mountain Connection, she publishes a blog titled Speaking of Cake
(http://www.kristinkwitt.blogspot.com/) that is funny, beautiful and touches the heart. I have heard Kristin speak at various events, fundraisers, and women's groups. Her topics and her humor are filled with grace and I leave the events wanting to be nicer and kinder. Kristin worked to make this year's Big Chili Cook Off the largest in its history. This is a woman who is well respected in the community for a 'can do" attitude, and creating positive results, always with the greatest diplomacy and respectfulness. So, how could she possibly write a book like String the Dark Pearl? The sunset adds a golden outline to the tops of the dark clouds and the wind picks up, banging the gate against the fence. If I start the book now will I be finished before midnight, and then will I be able to sleep. I begin to read String the Dark Pearl. The fire crackles, the candles on the antique table go out - I check the locks on the doors.
























No comments:

Post a Comment